Council of the District of Columbia
John A. Wilson Building
1350 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, D.C. 20004
RE: (Bill name and number)
Tips for writing the letter
- Be respectful. Remember you are trying to get the councilmember to agree with you!
- Tell the councilmember what ward you are a resident of and/or work in.
- Tell the councilmember why you are writing. Include the bill name and number if possible.
- Stick to the facts! Make sure you only include information that you are certain is true.
- State what you would like the councilmember to do on the bill (i.e. vote for/against it; amend it).
- Thank the councilmember for his/her time.
- Request a response indicating the councilmembers position on the issue.